India released a Rs.1,500 ($30) laptop / Tablet PC for students and teachers in colleges and Universities. The device is currently not available for sale in the market as government has decided to launch it for students in 2011.
The price of this device (so called laptop) may even go below to Rs.1500 in future. This revolutionary laptop supports multimedia content, Zip-Unzip feature, PDF Reader, SciLab, OpenOffice and a browser for social networking websites like Facebook and Myspace but still not confirmed if we can use it as a gaming device.
- Display: Touch Screen
- Keyboard: Built in
- RAM: 2GB
- Connectivity: Wifi, USB
- Operating System: Linux
- Power: 2 watt
- It has single unit system which has a touch screen.
- It has a keyboard which is in-built.
- It is operated by a 2 watt system so that it can even perform in areas where power supply is low.
How to Buy ?
The laptops will be distributed in institutions by the HRD ministry.
The year 2011 would be a technologically effective one as the once high priced laptops are getting low in their price. This laptop would bring the buyer, savings up to 50 percent.
According to reports, it is clear that the laptops would see a noticeable fall in their price which would be lesser by Rs.4800. National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology is supporting this project to enlighten the more and more students. There may be many methods to spread education but this one would prove to be an innovative style of imparting knowledge.
The education which would touch the lives of every student through this mode of technology would be possible easily. Thus, these laptops would be available at lesser cost. This style is meant to edify the large population to widen the horizon of knowledge among all in every aspect of life. This project has plans to sell the laptops at remarkably lesser rate.
As a part of India’s National Mission for Education, Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT) 504 universities and 25,000 colleges countrywide would be the recipients of these laptops.
- Video web conferencing facility,
- Multimedia content viewer for example pdf, jpeg, zip, etc,
- Computing capabilities such as Open Office, SciLab and
- It is enabled with a touch screen.
- An in-built keyboard is attached with this laptop.
- The laptop can store the data of up to 2 GB memory. It is a RAM memory.
- Wifi connectivity and USB port are this laptop’s additional features.
- 2 watt system is used up by this laptop so that it can even perform in areas where power supply is low.
- Linux system is programmable in this laptop.
This project was the outcome of experts coming together. The IT specialists came up with this idea at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras and IIT Bombay. These laptops are going to be given out by HRD ministry. It is being considered that these laptops would prove to be an asset for the students and will give them opportunity to excel in education.
Mahesh ( MGIT ECE 3rd year)
Watch This Video….