Hey guys now – a – days internet became the basic need for every individual…..but did we ever think how we are connected with the huge world of internet….here comes the solution…..LAN–The LOCAL AREA NETWORK ….
LAN is a datacomm system allowing a number of independent devices to communicate directly with each other, within a moderately sized geographic area over a physical communications channel.
• A LAN usually connects servers, workstations, printers, and mass storage devices, enabling users to share the resources.
• Most local area networks are built with relatively inexpensive hardware such as Ethernet cables, network adapters, and hubs.
HARDWARE COMPONENTS of a local area network…
A local area network is made of computers linked by a set of software and hardware elements. The hardware elements used for connecting computers to one another are:
The network card: This is a card connected to the computer’s motherboard, which interfaces with the physical medium, meaning the physical lines over which the information travels
The socket: This is the element used to mechanically
connect the network card with the physical medium.
The physical connection medium: The main physical support media used in local area networks are:
LAN’s TRANSMISSION MEDIA…
Baseband coaxial cable
– uses digital signaling
– original Ethernet
Broadband coaxial cable
– as in cable TV systems
– analog signals at radio frequencies
– expensive, hard to install & maintain.
– security, high capacity, small size, high cost
More stuff on this topic coming soon…..stay connected!!!!
Shiva Chaitanya(ECE 2nd Year) MGIT
Watch this video :